Could you please recommend a few books that explain the Hanafi principles of deriving rulings from Hadith.
The principles that you are looking for are discussed in the books of Usulul Fiqh; the section that discusses the Sunnah (Bahthus Sunnah).
You may refer to the popular Usulul Fiqh books written by Hanafi Scholars for the details.
Besides the above, there are several latter-day Hanafi Hadith scholars that have written books in the field of Usulul/Mustalahul Hadith. They too make references to the differences in the Hanafi principles of Hadith, although their primary purpose is to actually discuss the principles of the Muhaddithun.
Some such books are enlisted below:
1. Islahu Kitab ibnis Salah, of ‘Allamah ‘Alud Din Mughultay (rahimahullah) Demise: 762 A.H. Published by Maktabah Adwaus Salaf. 2 volumes.
2. Qafwul Athar fi Safwi ‘Ulumil Athar of ‘Allamah Radiud Din Al-Halabi, also known as Ibnul ‘Imad (rahimahullah) Demise: 971 A.H. Published by Darul Bashair with the annotations of Shaykh ‘Abdul Fattah Abu Ghuddah (rahimahullah). 1 volume.
3. Im’anun Nazar, Sharhu Shahi Nukhbatil Fikar, of Shaykh Al-Qadi Muhammad Akram Sindi (rahimahullah) -11th Century A.H. Published by Ar-Rahim Academy, Karachi. 1 volume.
4. Sharhu Sharhin Nukhbah of Mulla ‘Ali Qari (rahimahullah) Demise: 1014 A.H. Published under the guidance of Shaykh ‘Abdul Fattah (rahimahullah). 1 large volume.
5. Minhatul Mughith, fi Sharhi Alfiyyatil ‘Iraqi fil Hadith, of Moulana Idris Kandehlawi (rahimahullah) Demise: 1394 A.H. Published by Darul Bashair. 1 volume.
6. Kawtharun Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) fil Hadithin Nabawi, of Shaykh ;Abdul ‘Aziz Al-Farharwi (rahimahullah) Demise: 1239 A.H. Published by Maktabah Imdadiyyah, Multan. 1 volume.
Two more outstanding and helpful books
One should definitely also refer to (7) Moulana Zafar Ahmad Thanwi’s (rahimahullah-Demise: 1394 A.H.) masterpiece; Qawa’id fi ‘Ulumil Hadith and that of (8) Moulana Shabbir Ahmad ‘Uthmani (rahimahullah) Demise: 1369 A.H. entitled: Mabadi ‘ilmil Hadith wa ‘Usulih. Both are published by Darul Bashair with the annotations of Shaykh ‘Abdul Fattah (rahimahullah).
9. My Esteemed teacher, Al-Muhaddith Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah (hafizahullah) recently did an extensive annotation of the famous: Tadribur Rawi of ‘Allamah Suyuti (rahimahullah). Shaykh ‘Awwamah (hafizahullah) has also discussed many Hanafi standpoints in the book. Published by Darul Minhaj, Jeddah. 5 volumes.
Recently, the following book was published under the guidance of a senior Hadith Scholar of our era; Shaykh ‘Abdul Halim Chisti (hafizahullah). This book is also a good contribution to this field:
10. Dirasat fi Usulil Hadith ‘ala Manhajil Hanafiyyah, by Moulana ‘Abdul Majid At-Turkumani (hafizahullah).
Lastly, Shaykhul Hadith Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya Kandehlawi (rahimahullah) had also written a book in Arabic focusing on the Hanafi principles in Hadith entitled: Usulul Hadith ‘ala madhabil Hanafiyyah. However, I am unaware if this has been published as yet.
(See Intro to Al-Kanzul Mutawari, vol.1 pg.60)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,
Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar