What is the status of this narration?
Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:
- When public money is passed around like own money
- Trust is taken as booty (i.e. intention is to use it and refuse to return it)
- Zakah is seen as a tax
- Knowledge of Din is acquired for reasons other than spreading the Din
- A man obeys his wife and disobeys his mother
- Draws his friends close and distances his father
- Voices are raised in the Masajid
- Tribes are led by their wicked
- The leader of the community is the most despicable among them
- A person is respected for fear of his reprisals
- Singing girls and musical instruments become widespread
- Intoxicants are consumed
- The latter of this Ummah will curse their former
Then anticipate dangerous hurricanes, earthquakes, collapsing of the earth, disfigurement of bodies and faces, raining of stones, and such signs that follow in succession like beads of a necklace when the string is cut and so they (the beads) fall in succession.
Imam Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has recorded the narration in question in his Sunan. Although he has classified this narration as weak, there are other narrations which support this Hadith. This Hadith is therefore suitable to quote.
(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 2211 and 2210)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar