1. What is meant by Muttaham bil-Khidhb in Hadith?
Is he accused of lying in general conversations or fabricating a Hadith?
2. Will lying in Hadith always refer to fabricating?
3. Will that be the same as Fuhshul Ghalat?
These are some terms used when criticising narrators of Hadith.
1. This refers to a narrator who has been proven to lie in general speech (kalamun nas), but not a proven liar in Hadith.
However, because of his habit of lying in general conversations, he is suspected of possibly lying in Hadith too.
(Sharhun Nukhbah, pg.88)
3. No. Fuhshul Ghalat translates as: Serious/Erroneous errors. One who errs, is not considered a fabricator.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,
Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar