What is the basis in the Quran and Hadith (with the authenticity of the Hadiths) for touching the Quran with wudu?
1. Sayyiduna Hakim ibn Hizam (radiyallahu’anhu) reported that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) told him:
‘Do not touch the Quran unless you are in a state of purity.’
(Mustadrak Hakim, vol.3 pg.485, Al-Mu’jamul Kabur, Hadith: 3135 & Sunan Daraqutni, Hadith: 440)
Declared authentic (sahih) by Imams Hakim & Dhahabi (rahimahumallah)
(Al-Mustadrak, vol.3 pg.485)
2. ‘Allamah ‘Ayni (rahimahullah) has cited similar words like the above on the authority of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu’anhuma) and has classified it as authentic (sahih) too.
(‘Umdatul Qari, before Hadith: 297)
3. Sayyiduna ‘Amr ibn Hazm (radiyallahu’anhu) reported that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) wrote the following instruction to the people of Yemen:
‘Only those who are in the state of purity may touch the Quran.’
(Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al-Ihsan, Hadith: 6559, Mustadrak Hakim, vol.1
pg.396 & Sunan Daraqutni, Hadith: 435-439)
Declared authentic (sahih) by Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah).
The above authentic Hadiths are sufficient to prove this matter.
4. This is further supported by one explanation of the verse:
‘None should touch it [the Quran] besides those who are purified.’
(Surah Waqi’ah, verse: 79, See Tafsir Ibn Kathir)
5. Sayyiduna Salman (radiyallahu’anhu) also quoted the above verse to support the issue of touching Quran with wudu. See Sunan Daraqutni, Hadith: 442-445.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,
Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar