Someone shared the following saying that if one does this then Jannah becomes wajib.
Is this authentic and if so which two rak’ah is it speaking about before Zuhr Salah?
Narrated ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar: “I offered with Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) two rak’ahs prayer before the Zuhr prayer and two rak’ahs after Zuhr, two rak’ahs after Jumu’ah, two rak’ahs after Maghrib and two rak’ahs after ‘Isha.” Reference: Sahih al Bukhari
There are a few matters in your question that require clarification:
1) The Hadith you have cited is indeed recorded in Sahih Bukhari and is therefore authentic. However, this Hadith does not specify a reward.
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) reported: “I offered with Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) two rak’ahs before Zuhr, two rak’ahs after Zuhr, two rak’ahs after Jumu’ah, two rak’ahs after Maghrib and two rak’ahs after ‘Isha.”
(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1165)
2) Imam Muslim (rahimahullah) has recorded the following narration which specifies a reward:
Sayyidah Ummu Habibah (radiyallahu ‘anha) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:
Whoever offers twelve rak’ahs daily besides the fard, will have a palace built for him in Jannah.
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 828. Note the wording of this Hadith, which states he will have a palace in Jannah and not that Jannah becomes binding)
These twelve rak’ahs have been explained in a narration of Sunan Tirmidhi as:
The two rak’ahs before Fajr, four rak’ahs before Zuhr, two rak’ahs after Zuhr, two rak’ahs after Maghrib and two rak’ahs after ‘Isha.
This Hadith has been classified as authentic by Imam Tirmidhi (rahimahullah)
(Sunan Tirmidhi Hadith 415. See here)
3) Under the commentary of the Hadith in Sahih Muslim cited above, -recorded on the authority of Sayyidah Ummu Habibah (radiyallahu ‘anha)-, ‘Allamah Nawawi (rahimahullah) has cited Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah’s ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) narration -recorded in Sahih Bukhari- as a possible explanation to the twelve rak’ahs.
This was due to the fact that certain Fuqaha were of the opinion that two rak’ahs of Sunnah could be performed before Zuhr, instead of four.
(Refer: Sahih Muslim with Al Minhaj of ‘Allamah Nawawi, Hadith: 1691)
4) In addition to the narration of Sunan Tirmidhi cited above, there are other authentic narrations which prove four rak’ahs before Zuhr to be Sunnah. The Hanafi Jurists have adopted these.
Sayyidah ‘Aaishah (radiyallahu ‘anha) reports: “Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam never omitted four rak’ahs before Zuhr…”
(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1182. See here)
5) See here regarding the added condition of habitually offering these rak’ahs to secure this reward.
Kindly refer to a Mufti/Darul Ifta for further clarification.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar