What is the authenticity of the following Hadith?
Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:
“Whomsoever says ten sentences after Fajr Salah every day, Allah will suffice him [in the ten things mentioned in these sentences]. Five are for this world and five are for the Hereafter:
- حسبي الله لديني – hasbiyallahu li dini– (Allah is sufficient for my Din)
- حسبي الله لما أهمني – hasbiyallahu lima ahammani– (Allah is sufficient for my concerns and worries)
- حسبي الله لمن بغي عَليّ – hasbiyallahu limam bagha ‘alayya– (Allah is sufficient for those who oppress me)
- حسبي الله لمن حسدني – hasbiyallahu liman hasadani– (Allah is sufficient for those who are jealous over me)
- حسبي الله لمن كادني بِسوء – hasbiyallahu liman kadani bi su’– (Allah is sufficient against those who plot against me)
- حسبي الله عِنْد الْمَوْت – hasbiyallahu ‘indal mawt– (Allah is sufficient at the time of death)
- حسبي الله عِنْد المساءلة فِي الْقَبْر – hasbiyallahu ‘indal musa-alati fil qabr– (Allah is sufficient at the time of questioning in the grave)
- حسبي الله عِنْد الْمِيزَان – hasbiyallahu ‘indal mizan– (Allah is sufficient at the scale)
- حسبي الله عِنْد الصِّرَاط – hasbiyallahu ‘indas sirat– (Allah is sufficient at the bridge)
- حسبي الله لَا إِلَه إِلَّا هُوَ عَلَيْهِ توكلت وَإِلَيْهِ أنيب – hasbiyallahu la ilaha illa huwa ‘alayhi tawakkaltu wa ilayhi unib– (Allah is sufficient, there is no Deity except him. I rely upon him and turn in repentance to him)”
Hakim Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has recorded this narration through a weak chain.
(Nawadirul Usul, Hadith: 931. Refer: Lisanul Mizan, vol. 1 pg. 309/310. Also see: Fathul Bari, under Hadith: 6982, vol. 12 pg. 354 and Kashful Khafa, Hadith: 1134)
Imam Ghazali (rahimahullah) has cited a similar du’a of the famous saint, Ma’ruf Karkhi (rahimahullah).
(Refer: Sharhul Ihya, vol. 5 pg. 70)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar,
The meaning of these sentences are very profound, and worthy of recital.
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar