1. Could you please tell us what is the status of the Hadith mentioned in “Tarih Dimashk” of Ibn Asakir?
خير القرونِ قرني ثمّ الذين يلونهم, ثمّ الذين يلونهم
2. Is Imam Ash’ari, Imam Maturidi, and Imam Tahawi (rahimahumullah) included in the virtue mentioned in this Hadith, since they lived during first three centuries of Hijrah?
Translation of the narration in question: The best of generations is my generation, followed by the next one and then the next.
Kindly click here for details on its authenticity and varied wordings which was answered in detail previously.
This Hadith is referring to the merit of the first three generations and not the first three centuries.
The first three generations are:
1. The Sahabah (radiyallahu’anhum)
2. The Tabi’un (rahimahumullah) – They are those that followed the Sahabah.
3. The Tabi’ Tabi’in (rahimahumullah) – Those who followed the Tabi’un.
(Refer: Fathul Bari, hadith: 3650)
2. They were not among the first three generations, but are indeed universally considered as senior Scholars of the Ummah.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar