Can you please send me Hadiths with reference for sunnah salah before the fard of Jumuah?
The issue of praying Nafl Salah before the Fard of Jumu’ah is soundly backed by substantial proofs.
Hafiz Ibn Rajab Al Hambli (rahimahullah) has written two booklets to substantiate it. Similarly Hafiz Ibnul Mulaqqin (rahimahullah) also has a booklet in favour of it.
Among the proofs that support the view of four rak’ats before Jumu’ah as Sunnah are the following:
1. Sayyiduna Ali (radaiyallahu’anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) would offer four rak’ats of Salah before and after Jumu’ah.
Hafiz ‘Iraqi (rahimahullah) has classified the chain for this narration as good (jayyid).
(Tarhut Tathrib, vol.3 Pg.37 and Faydul Qadir, vol.5 Pg.216 )
2. Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) states: ‘The strongest proof for the two rak’ats before Jumu’ah is the Hadith that Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah) declared sahih (authentic) in which Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Zubayr (radiyallahu’anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:
‘There should be 2 rak’ats (nafl) offered before every Fard Salah’
(Sahih Ibn Hibban; Fathul Bari of Ibn Hajar, Hadith: 937)
3. Hafiz ibn Hajar writes further: ‘And similar to this is the Hadith of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibnul Mughaffal (radiyallahu ‘anhu) in which Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:
‘There is (nafl) salah between every Adhan and iqamah.’
(Sahih Bukhari; see Fathul Bari, Hadith: 937)
4. Some Muhaddithun have used the following Hadith of Sayyiduna Abu Ayyub Al-Ansari (radaiyallahu’anhu) to prove these four rak’ats at that time.
He states that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) would offer four rak’ats daily after Zawal. Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) also said: ‘This is a time in which the doors of the heavens are opened.’
(Musnad Ahmad and others)
The Scholars elaborate that: the doors of the heaven obviously open on a Friday too. Therefore there is no reason to exclude it.
(see: Halabi Kabiri, pg.389 and Takhrijul Ikhtiyar, vol.1 pg.262, Hadith: 284)
Practice of the Sahabah (radiyallahu ‘anhum)
5. Sayyiduna Ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu’anhuma) is reported to have been punctual on offering lengthy rak’ats of salah before Jumu’ah. He also stated that this was the practice of Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam).
(Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 1121. ‘Allamah ‘Iraqi (rahimahullah) has considered its chain as authentic- sahih)
6. Sayyiduna Abdullah bin Mas’ud (radiyallahu’anhu) would instruct the people to offer four rak’ats before Jumu’ah, and he would also do so himslef.
(Masannaf Abdur Razzaq and Masannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 5402)
7. Sayyiduna Abdullah bin ‘Abbas (radiyallahu’anhuma) is also reported to have offered these four rak’ats before Jumu’ah.
(Fathul Bari – Ibn Rajab, vol.8 Pg.330)
8. This was also the practice of Sayyidatuna Safiyyah (radiyallahu’anha)
(Fathul Bari – Ibn Rajab, vol.8 Pg.330)
9. In fact, the great Tabi’i, Ibrahim An Nakha’i (rahimahullah) has stated that this was the unified practice of the Sahabah (radiyallahu’anhum).
(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 5405 and Fathul Bari – Ibn Rajab, vol.8 Pg.330)
10. Imam Bukhari (rahimahullah) has also supported this in his Sahih by including the chapter: ‘Chapter on Salah after and before Jumu’ah’
Lastly, ‘Allamah Al ‘Iraqi (rahimahullah) has clearly stated: ‘To reject all the various proofs (only some of which are provided in this answer) is a feeble standpoint.’
(Tarhut Tathrib, vol.3 Pg.37).
Note: The above proofs sufficiently substantiate this issue, and should therefore not be a cause for discord!
Shaykh Yusuf Ad-Dijwi (rahimahullah) a recent renown Maliki scholar of Egypt (who is also the teacher of ‘Allamah Al-Kawthari -rahimahullah), has also written an article on this issue at the end of which he states that one is forced by the proofs that exist to accept this, just as the great leaders of the ummah had done so.
(Maqalat Dijwi, vol.4 pg.1370)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar