Is this narration authentic?
Yes it is.
This Hadith has been recorded with a few chains in the following Hadith collections:
- Sunan Ibn Majah, Hadith: 1895
- Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 1089, with slight variation in the wording
- Musnad Ahmad, vol. 4 pg. 5
- Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 4066
- Mustadrak Hakim, vol. 2 pg. 183
Imam Hakim (rahimahullah) has declared the Hadith authentic and Hafiz Dhahabi concurs. Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah) has also declared the Hadith authentic. ‘Allamah Haythami (rahimahullah) has declared the narrators of Musnad Ahmad reliable (thiqat)
(Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 4 pg. 289)
Announce the nikah [do not do it secretly]
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar