Are the following du’as that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) made for Sayyiduna Mu’awiyah authentic?
1) O Allah! Teach Mu’awiyah the Book and arithmetic, and protect him from the Punishment.
اللهم علم معاوية الكتاب والحساب وقه العذاب
2) O Allah! Teach him (Mu’awiyah) the Book and arithmetic, and grant him authority over cities and protect him from the Punishment.
اللهم علمه الكتاب والحساب ومكن له في البلاد وقه سوء العذاب
3) O Allah! Make him a guide, guided (to the right path), and guide (others) through him.
اللهم اجعله هاديا مهديا و اهد به
1) This Hadith is recorded by Imam Ahmad (rahimahullah) and others. Imam Ibn Khuzaymah and Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahumallah) have declared the Hadith as authentic (sahih).
(Musnad Ahmad, vol. 4 pg. 127, Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah, Hadith: 1938 and Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 7210. Also see: Al Muntakhab Minal ‘Ilal Lil Khallal of Hafiz Ibn Qudamah Al Maqdisi, pg. 234, Hadith: 141, Siyaru A’alamin Nubala, vol. 3 pg. 124 and Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 9 pg. 356)
2) This is a combination of two narrations. Imam Tabarani (rahimahullah) has recorded both (mursalan). Hafiz Haythami (rahimahullah) states that the narrators are declared reliable, although there is a difference of opinion regarding some of the narrators.
(Al Mu’jamul Kabir, Hadith: 1065 and 1066 -volume: 19-. Refer: Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 9 pg. 356/7. Also see Siyaru A’alamin Nubala, vol. 3 pg. 124/5)
3) Imam Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has recorded this narration on the authority of Sayyiduna ‘Abdur Rahman ibn ‘Amirah (radiyallahu ‘anhu). He has declared this Hadith sound (hasan).
(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 3842)
And Allah Ta’ala knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar