I would like to know if wearing a green turban is sunnat?
Are there any narrations regarding this? Jazakumullahu khayran
The wearing of green clothing is a sunnah. (Raddul Muhtar, vol.6 pg.351)
The turban is part of clothing and therefore, wearing a green turban can be included under the sunnah of green clothes.
Wearing a green turban is supported by the following:
1. Green is the colour of the clothes of Jannah. (Surah Kahf, ayah: 31)
2. Green is considered the best colour. (Tafsir Ruhul Ma’ani, Surah Kahf, ayah: 31)
3. The colour green was also loved by Rasulullah (sallallahu’alaihi wasallam)
(‘Amalul Yawmi wal laylah- Suyuti, pg.33)
Sayyiduna Anas (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that the most beloved colour to Rasulullah (sallallahu’alaihi wasallam) was green.
(Musnad Bazzar; Kashful Astar, hadith: 2943 and Al-Mu’jamul Awsat of Tabarani, hadith: 5730 & 8027. ‘Allamah Haithami has classified the narrators of Tabarani as reliable. Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.5 Pg.129, also see: Ad-Di’amah, pg.120)
4. There are several hadiths which report that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alaihi wasallam) had worn green garments. (Ad-Di’amah fi ahkami sunnatil ‘imamah, pgs.120-12)
5. Some Sahabah (radiyallahu’anhum) have reported that the Angels had worn green turbans when they descended to assist the muslims in battle. (Ad-Di’amah, pg.120)
6. Sulayman ibn Abi ‘Abdillah (rahimahullah) – a reliable Tabi’i- says that he saw the Muhajirun Sahabah wearing turbans of varied colors, among those colors was green. (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, hadith: 25489)
In light of the above, the green turban is allowed and can be classified a sunnah (as its part of clothing), although its not specifically proven from Rasulullah (sallallahu’alaihi wasallam).
Refer to: Raddul Muhtar, vol.6 pg.351, Nasimur Riyad- Sharhu Shifa li Qadi ‘Iyad, vol.3 pg.197 & Fatawa Hadithiyyah of Ibn Hajar Haitami, pg. 168
Note: As a general rule, the ‘Ulama have declared white as the best color for clothing. This is based on clear hadiths from Rasulullah (sallallahu’alaihi wasallam). (Faydul Qadir, hadith 15630, Ad-Di’amah, pg.88 & Sharhul Munawi ‘alash Shamail, vol.1 pg.204)
‘Allamah Suyuti (rahimahullah) writes that the next best color clothing, in the sight of Rasulullah (sallallahu’alaihi wasallam) was green. (‘Amalul Yawmi wal laylah- Suyuti, pg.33)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,
Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar