Who is ‘Allamah ‘Abdur Rauf Al Munawi (rahimahullah)?
‘Allamah Abdur Rauf ibn Tajul ‘Arifin ibn ‘Ali Al Munawi was a Shafi’i scholar born in the year 952 A.H.
‘Allamah Munawi (rahimahullah) was an ascetic, extremely pious and very knowledgeable. He was famous for habitually reciting and being steadfast on his daily adhkar and only eating one meal a day.
He memorised the Quran before reaching the age of puberty and also memorised other texts in Shafi’i Fiqh, Arabic syntax and Sirah.
He was brought up in a home filled with knowledge and his family members were also Scholars. He began his quest for knowledge under his father, Tajul ‘Arifin (rahimahullah) and also studied under the following Scholars:
- Muhammad ibn Ahmad ibn Hamzah, Shams Ar Ramali who was a student of Shaykh Zakariyya Al Ansari
- Nurud Din ‘Ali ibn Ghanim Al Maqdisi
- Muhammad ibn Ahmad ibn ‘Ali, Najm Al Ghayti
- Abul Hasan, Muhammad Al Bakri As Siddiqi who was an expert Mufassir (exegete)
- ‘Abdul Wahhab Ash Sha’rawi who was also a student of Shaykh Zakariyya Al Ansari and others (rahimahumullah)
Among his students were the following:
- ‘Ali Al Ajhuri
- Ahmad ibn ‘Isa Shihabud Din Al Kalbi
- His son, Zaynul ‘Abidin who also memorised the Quran at the age of 7 (rahimahumullah).
He had authored many books, his most famous ones being the following:
- Faydul Qadir, the commentary of Al Jami’us Saghir
- At Taysir, a concise commentary on Al Jami’us Saghir
- Al Fathus Samawi
- Kunuzul Haqaiq
- Al Ithafatus Sunniyah Bil Ahadithil Qudsiyyah
‘Allamah Munawi (rahimahullah) passed away in Safar, during the year 1130 A.H. His Janazah Salah was performed at Al Azhar.
‘Allamah Munawi was known to be ‘the Shafi’i’ of his time (rahimahullah).
Al Badrut Tali’, vol. 1 pg. 249, Khulasatul Athar, vol. 2 pg. 400-404 and Manhajul Hafiz Al Munawi Fi Kitabihi Faydul Qadir, pg. 44-96.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar