What is the source of this Hadith and the authenticity?
A Hadith reports Abu Usayd Malik ibn Rabi’ah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) as saying:
“While we were sitting in the company of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) , a man of the Banu Salamah tribe came to him and said, “O Rasulullah, Is there any way left for me to be an obedient child to my parents after their death?” He replied, “Yes;
1. You can make du’a for Allah’s blessings on them,
2. Make ‘Istighfar’ for them (ask Allah’s forgiveness for them),
3. Fulfil their promises (if any) made by them with people,
4. Treat their relatives and dependants with kindness,
5. Show respect to their friends.”
At this the man said, “What an excellent idea!” and Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) replied, “Practice it, then.”
Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah) has declared the version cited in your question authentic.
(Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 418)
Imam Abu Dawud (rahimahullah) has recorded slightly different words.
(Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 5099. Also see: Targhib, vol. 3 pg. 323)
Also see here for an article on a similar topic.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar