Is the following narration authentic?
The Prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:
Soon people will invite each other plotting against you like how a person eating invites others to share their dish. Someone asked: ‘Will that be because of our small numbers at that time’? Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) replied: No, you will be many at that time, but you will be scum like that carried down by a flood, and Allah will take away the awe and fear of you from the chest of your enemy and cast ‘wahn’ into your hearts. Someone asked: ‘What is wahn’? Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) replied: ‘Love of the world and dislike of death’.
The hadith in question is recorded in numerous hadith collections.
Among them are the following:
1) Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 4297
2) Musnad Ahmad, vol. 5 pg. 278
3) Al Mu’jamul kabir of Imam Tabarani (rahimahullah), Hadith: 1452
4) Musnad Ash Shamiyyin of Imam Tabarani (rahimahullah), Hadith: 600
5) Hilyatul Awliya of Hafiz Abu Nu’aym (rahimahullah), vol. 1 pg. 238
6) Dalailun Nubuwwah of Imam Bayhaqi (rahimahullah), vol. 6 pg. 534
The above narration is classified as sound (hasan) according to the principle of Hafiz ibn Hajar (rahimahullah).
(Refer: Hidayatur Ruwat, vol. 5 pg. 81, Hadith: 5298)
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar