Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) has said, “Do not think any act of kindness to be too small even if it is:
1. a piece of string or a shoe-lace (that you give to someone),
2. a bucket of water (that you fill for someone),
3. a harmful object that you remove from the road,
4. or to meet your brother with a smile,
5. or to make salam [greet] when meeting someone,
6. or to help a person who is lost/meet someone in a friendly manner.”
What is the status of this Hadith?
Imam Ahmad (rahimahullah) has recorded this Hadith on the authority of Sayyiduna Abu Tamimah Al Hujaymi (radiyallahu ‘anhu) with a chain whose narrators are all reliable.
(Musnad Ahmad, vol. 3 pg. 482)
Imam Nasai (rahimahullah) has also recorded one version of this Hadith.
(As Sunanul Kubra, Hadith: 9614 .Refer: Targhib, vol. 3 pg. 422 for similar narrations)
Also see here.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.
Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala
Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar
Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar