Please provide a few Hadiths regarding fear of Allah (taqwa) and how to attain it.
The Quran is filled with many verses encouraging taqwa and with promises for those who attain it.
Hadiths on this topic
1. Sayyidatuna ‘Aishah (radiyallahu’anha) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) only loved those who had Taqwa.
(Musnad Abi Ya’la, Hadith: 4552, Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.10 pg.274)
‘Allamah Haythami (rahimahullah) has declared the chain sound (hasan). Also see here.
2. Sayyiduna Mu’adh (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:
‘…Indeed the people what will be closest to me [on the day of qiyamah] are those who have taqwa, whoever they are and wherever they are.’
(Musnad Ahmad, vol.5 pg.235)
Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah) has declared it authentic (sahih).
(Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al-Ihsan, Hadith: 647)
3.Sayyiduna Abu Dharr (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that Nabi (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:
‘Fear Allah wherever you are…’
(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 1987)
Imam Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has declared it authentic (hasan sahih).
See more Hadiths on this topic here.
How to attain Taqwa?
1. Sayyiduna ‘Atiyyah As-Sa’dy (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that Nabi (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:
‘A person will not be counted from the muttaqin (those who have taqwa) until he abstains from what is not wrong, out of fear of falling into what is wrong.’
(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 2451)
Imam Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has declared this sound (hasan gharib).
2. The reliable Tabi’i; Maymun ibn Mihran (rahimahullah) said: “A man will not attain true taqwa as long as he does not take reckoning of himself, and as long as he does not know the source of his food, drink and clothes.”
(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 36419 and Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 4 pg. 89. Also see: Musnadul Firdaws, Hadith: 8377)
3. One should ponder over the verses in the Quran that encourage taqwa, as well as the Hadiths above.
Nabi (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) has made the following promise for those who have taqwa:
‘Whenever you abandon anything out of the fear of Allah, Allah will certainly grant you a better replacement.’
(Musnad Ahmad, vol.5 pg.78-79)
‘Allamah Haythami (rahimahullah) has declared the narrators as reliable (rijalus sahih).
(Majma’uz zawaid, vol.10 pg.296)
4. There are several du’as that have come in the Hadith for taqwa.
5. In addition to reciting du’as, one should make a concerted effort to avoid sin.
6. Frequenting the company of the pious, Allah fearing individuals is also an effective method of developing taqwa.
7. See here for the qualities of those who have taqwa.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,
Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar